[Twisted-Python] Deferred model

Christopher Armstrong radix at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Nov 13 17:04:15 EST 2003

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 10:14:16PM +0100, Philippe Lafoucri?re wrote:

> > I'm sure this has been answered a million times before, but here goes...
>
> I'm sure too. But I proposed a long time ago (and several times) to use
> a forum instead of a mailing list...

This is a terrible excuse. Not only do we have our *own* archives:

http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python

which, of course, are searchable via google:

"deferred blocking code site:twistedmatrix.com"

there are *multiple* archives elsewhere that have a built-in search
functionality as well:

http://marc.free.net.ph/list/twisted-python.html

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.twisted

I found these with a trivial amount of googling: "twisted-python
mailing list"

Having searchable archives is obviously no reason to switch to a web
forum (ugh), as we have that right now.

> > If you give more detail about what you're trying to do, I'm sure one of
> > the Twisted gurus can explain what the best approach(es) might be.
>
> I thought of using the setUp method of page. I can start the calculation
> when the page loads, but I don't know what to call (in the callback)
> when it's done (a wmfactory_xxx ?). I'll check the threading part you
> gave me. Thank you !

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any special support in Woven to
handle Deferreds from setUp. You can return Deferreds from
wmfactory_XXX and Woven will handle them correctly: it will not finish
rendering the page until that Deferred has fired and the model is
ready.

---------+           http://radix.twistedmatrix.com/