[Twisted-Python] SSL.SysCallError in doRead

Sam Jordan sam at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Nov 13 14:45:52 EST 2003

Hi,

I noted the following exception while running some msn related
code earlier:

2003/11/14 05:09 EST [PassportLogin,client] Traceback (most recent call last):
          File "/home/sam/Twisted/twisted/python/log.py", line 65, in callWithLogger
            callWithContext({"system": lp}, func, *args, **kw)
          File "/home/sam/Twisted/twisted/python/log.py", line 52, in callWithContext
            return context.call({ILogContext: newCtx}, func, *args, **kw)
          File "/home/sam/Twisted/twisted/python/context.py", line 32, in callWithContext
            return func(*args,**kw)
          File "/home/sam/Twisted/twisted/internet/default.py", line 513, in _doReadOrWrite
            why = getattr(selectable, method)()
        --- <exception caught here> ---
          File "/home/sam/Twisted/twisted/internet/tcp.py", line 98, in doRead
            return Connection.doRead(self)
          File "/home/sam/Twisted/twisted/internet/tcp.py", line 234, in doRead
            data = self.socket.recv(self.bufferSize)
        SSL.SysCallError: (104, 'Connection reset by peer')

On closer inspection it seems that the surrounding try/except clause only
cares about SSL.SysCallErrors which pertain to unexpected EOF and all others
are re-raised. The only reason I can come up with for why this is the case is
that it was not anticipated that other exceptions (like the one above) could
arise from the given recv call. I would expect that in the above instance,
connectionLost should be called, but it may very well be that i'm missing some
subtlety so I am yet to submit a bug report.

Cheers,

Sam.