[Twisted-Python] Form model examples

Donovan Preston dp at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Nov 6 13:40:15 EST 2003

On Nov 6, 2003, at 11:53 AM, Martin Stoufer wrote:

> I noticed that the Form model document page
> (http://www.twistedmatrix.com/documents/howto/formindepth) had not
> been put up yet. Does anyone out there have any working examples that
> uses this or has some more info on thetwisted.web.woven.formclass?
> Furthermore, if I can get enough knowledge on this, I would be happy
> to help contribute to the formindepth page.

Handling form input in a way which is both very abstract and easy for
the programmer to use without a lot of edge cases has turned out to be
very difficult. As you may have heard, 'nevow' is the name of a new
exploratory implementation of the woven ideas which will eventually
become woven 2.0.  One of the goals of nevow is to take the ideas
originally explored in twisted.python.formmethod and
twisted.web.woven.form and re-implement them so they are cleaner,
easier to use and extend, and have fewer edge cases. The new,
in-development modules are nevow.formless and nevow.freeform.

Formless is a module which allows you to annotate object properties and
method parameters with types (By declaring that the 'foo' property is a
String, and the "bar" method takes two Integers, for example). Freeform
is a module which uses this type information to automatically render
forms on the web, perform input validation and form error rendering,
and ultimately call methods on your objects or set properties on your
objects.

I am at this very moment doing a lot of freeform development, so now
would be a good time to raise your use cases, your expectations about
using a system which renders and validates web forms, etc.

A good place to contact me is in #twisted on irc.openprojects.net. My
nick is fzZzy.

dp