[Twisted-Python] Woven and WML

Donovan Preston dp at twistedmatrix.com
Sat May 31 01:50:43 EDT 2003

On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 10:29 PM, Tim Allen wrote:

> I recently got a new WAP-capable phone, and since you can do a lot of
> interesting things by pointing it at various URLs, I thought I'd try
> making a cute little website in Woven for my phone to browse.

Cool :-)

> Unfortunately, it seems that this is impossible. The resulting markup
> from my simple Woven test page had all sorts of woven-stuff all
> through it - such as pattern attributes that hadn't been removed, and
> id attributes that were woven's internal IDs, rather than the IDs I
> tried to set. Modern, capacious HTML browsers wouldn't care, I guess,
> but my phone's little brain overloaded and gave up.

The woven-specific attributes should really all be removed -- any that
are left in are just there because I have been lazy about it, since as
you observe modern browsers don't care. I'll try to go through and make
sure woven outputs clean XHTML by the next release... I have been
meaning to do it for a while anyway.

The tendency for woven to overwrite ids you try to set has been fixed
in CVS. Also, since several people have requested it, I will remove the
auto-id setting unless you are using LivePage, which is the only thing
that uses it.

> Is this just the way Woven works, or am I likely doing something wrong?

I would consider these bugs, and thanks for the report!

Donovan