[Twisted-Python] Woven example for article, Part II

david mertz ibook at gnosis.cx
Thu May 29 23:02:59 EDT 2003

Moshe Zadka wrote:
|There is a reason the documentation comes with the package:
|it is relevant to the version it comes with. In particular, the
|documentation on tm.com is only relevant to "latest stable". This is
|just like Python: if you read documentation from
|http://www.python.org/doc/current/, don't count on it working with
|Python 2.1.

This is very unhelpful, Moshe.  The documentation on the Twisted website
(as mentioned in my earlier note), unlike most Python standard
documentation, does not indicate in which versions the examples work
(PicturePile, specifically).  Nothing like "new in 1.0.4".  Moreover,
the errors did not make it obvious there was a version issue (and in any
case, the example still needed some minor corrections to work with
1.0.5).  Andrew's advice (and some by email) was helpful, but it was
hardly obvious a priori what the issue was.

Moreover, I have not encountered any change log that addresses woven
version differences in any detail.  Quite possibly there is such a
document, but I do not now know where it is.

None of this, btw., means to demean Twisted itself.  I do think it could
use a bit more directed documentation, but the concept and subpackages
themselves seem very useful and well conceived.

Yours, David...