[Twisted-Python] flow module release canidate and future schedule

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed May 28 17:30:00 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 16:55 America/New_York, Clark C. Evans
wrote:
> Future Directions:
>
>   1. As I start playing with more protocols, I'll probably add
>      a few 'filters' which would take a raw flow.Protocol and
>      return items by line or by a specified chunk size.

Take a look at the example I posted to the mailing list last Friday for
an example of how I did this (per-yield chunk size, not delimiter
based).  It greatly simplified my gzip/gunzip code.

Also, the "byte pipe" I'm using can surely be accelerated by using
iovec (in sandbox/exarkun), I basically rewrote it and extended it so
it could accomodate pipe usage.

>   2. The 'Merge' code needs some reviewing as it isn't perfect
>      and doesn't behave quite right yet.   I don't have any
>      serious use case for this right now, so it may not get
>      fixed for another month or so.
>
>   3. Eventually (probably late this year) I'll consider writing
>      flow as a "C" module for speed.  This should be about 2-3x
>      faster in most cases.   So, if you are not using flow beacuse
>      of speed concerns, keep this in mind and let me know.

If I end up finding any significant use for flow, which I almost
definitely will, I'll help you out with that.

-bob