[Twisted-Python] SNMP in Twisted

Andrew Bennetts andrew-twisted at puzzling.org
Wed May 28 04:07:58 EDT 2003

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 03:48:55PM +0800, Wari Wahab wrote:
> I was given the task to have a program to send SNMP get requests and
> recieve SNMP traps. There is a PySNMP package out there, and I guess
> that it's a blocking call to get data from an SNMP server, especially
> when doing a walk style request.
>
> My questions are,
[...]

Have you seen
    http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2002-December/002456.html
?

(In general, the best approach to Twistifying a protocol in another Python
library is to reuse the message decoding and encoding, but use Twisted to
handle all the networking.  This usually means writing a Protocol subclass
that delegates most of the work in dataReceived to the library, but
obivously this depends on the protocol...)

-Andrew.