[Twisted-Python] Using usage.Options documentation error

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien at orbtech.com
Tue May 27 10:19:37 EDT 2003

There appears to be an error in the code example on this page:

    http://www.twistedmatrix.com/documents/howto/options

<quote>

Inheritance, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Superclass

Sometimes there is a need for several option processors with a
unifying core. Perhaps you want all your commands to understand
-q/--quiet means to be quiet, or something similar. On the face of it,
this looks impossible: in Python, the subclass's optFlags would shadow
the superclass's. However, usage.Options uses special reflection code
to get all of the optFlags defined in the hierarchy. So the following:

class BaseOptions(usage.Options):

    optFlags = [["quiet", "q"], None]

class SpecificOptions(BaseOptions):

    optFlags = [
        ["fast", "f", None], ["good", "g", None], ["cheap", "c", None]
    ]

Is the same as:

class SpecificOptions(BaseOptions):

    optFlags = [
        ["quiet", "q", "Silence output"],
        ["fast", "f", "Run quickly"],
        ["good", "g", "Don't validate input"],
        ["cheap", "c", "Use cheap resources"]
    ]

</quote>

I don't see how the descriptions in the second SpecificOptions class
match with the use of None in the first set of classes.  Twisted is
good, but it isn't *that* good, is it?

--
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech      http://www.orbtech.com/web/pobrien