[Twisted-Python] some reconfiguration questions

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Sun May 11 13:20:22 EDT 2003

On Sun, 11 May 2003 19:09:14 +0200
Paul Boehm <typo at soniq.net> wrote:

> what's currently the preferred way to reconfigure applications while
> they are running, or how does one reconfigure taps ?

There's coil - except it sucks and needs to be rewritten.

> can manhole listen on a unix domain socket? i don't really like having
> to have a listening network socket open for every twisted app i run.

Yes it can.

> doesn't storing all data inside the application pickle make it harder
> to keep changes inside the application configuration, seperate from
> the application data(which hopefully is less likely to change all the
> time).

You shouldn't store data in the TAP. As for configuration, if you have
the need to change your config a lot, don't use TAPs, use a traditional
config file (or a python file you edit to change the config - looking at
the twisted-web debian package may be instructive).

> can i really depend on the application author to keep a
> styles.Versioned record of all import class changes? what if i decide
> to upgrade while skipping a few versions, and then my application tap,
> including all data, doesn't work anymore?

I write my code so worst case I can always delete the old TAP and run
mktap again without problems.

You should *never* store application data in TAPs when writing real
applications (although it's a useful technique for prototyping,
occasionally).

--
Itamar Shtull-Trauring    http://itamarst.org/
http://www.zoteca.com -- Python & Twisted consulting