[Twisted-Python] Re: We're not responsible for people subscribing to Google's ToS

Kevin Turner acapnotic at twistedmatrix.com
Sat May 10 19:43:58 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 01:28, moshez CVS wrote:
http://twistedmatrix.com/users/jh.twistd/viewcvs/cgi/viewcvs.cgi/twisted/web/google.py.diff?r1=text&tr1=1.4&r2=text&tr2=1.5&cvsroot=Twisted
> Log message:
> We're not responsible for people subscribing to Google's ToS

I don't entirely agree.  While it is true that we are not responsible
for people subscribing to Google's terms of service, I think it is
irresponsible at best to distribute a tool whose use violates those
terms, particularly without any suggestion that it might be doing so, or
any reference to those terms at all.

If someone is providing you a service that you find useful, you do not
thank them by doing things with it that they explicitly ask you not to
do.  Play nice.  Google has an API -- I know you don't like it, but it's
their service, it's their right to call the shots.

As long as twisted.web.google does not use the Google API, I would
prefer to see it removed from the core Twisted distribution.  Feel free
to distribute it elsewhere, but with your name on it, not Twisted's.

Sincerely,

 - Kevin

--
The moon is first quarter, 63.0% illuminated, 8.6 days old.