[Twisted-Python] Large Transfers

Uwe C. Schroeder uwe at oss4u.com
Sat May 10 17:20:10 EDT 2003

On Saturday 10 May 2003 12:58 pm, Gerhard Häring wrote:
> Uwe C. Schroeder wrote:
> > [...] If I run a webserver inside a firewalled LAN
>
> So you're running the webserver with a local IP address that isn't
> accessible via the LAN.

That wouldn't make too much sense, would it ?
I'm running the server inside the LAN on a RFC address. So the server is
accessible from the LAN, however since the firewall blocks all incoming
traffic it won't be accessible from the outside (assuming you have a firewall
and use IP-NAT )

> > and block all ports on the firewall,
>
> This is redundant if you don't offer the services to the outside,
> anyway. Redundancy is generally a good thing, but the services should be
> properly configured in the first place.

No it's not redundant. Just take a LAN and unplug the link to the internet.
This is basically the setup (except that you also won't have outgoing stuff)

> > [...] I'm btw not talking about packet-filters, often sold as firewall.
>
> A firewall is a security concept, not a single piece of software. Packet
> filters might be part of that security concept.

Correct, that's excatly what I'm talking about.

> Your name sounds German, if you can read German, these resources are
> valuable:
>
> de.comp.security.firewall FAQ:
> http://www.iks-jena.de/mitarb/lutz/usenet/Firewall.html
>
> A nice summary about personal firewalls (in English):
> http://www.fefe.de/pffaq/

:-))) Well, we're living in a real world - in an ideal world there would be no
advanced bootstrap loader called windows. Sadly too many people buy the crap,
then complain about "security" as they perceive it and buy stuff like
"wingate".

BTW: if you're ever looking for a good firewall in germany, take a look at
www.genua.de. Magnus Harlander (founder and owner) is a real capacity when it
comes to security. I was working with him for a couple of years before I
immigrated to the US.

	UC

--
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC	2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone:  +1 650 872 2425		San Bruno, CA 94066