[Twisted-Python] Large Transfers

Uwe C. Schroeder uwe at oss4u.com
Sat May 10 15:31:26 EDT 2003

On Saturday 10 May 2003 11:57 am, Moshe Zadka wrote:
> On Sat, 10 May 2003, "Uwe C. Schroeder" <uwe at oss4u.com> wrote:
> > but it would be more convenient and transparent for the programmer not to
> > have take care of paging :-)
>
> No, it wouldn't. Paging is a programmer-level thing, not a protocol-level
> thing. For example, the programmer needs to realize that the memory
> buffer might stay in memory for a long time.
>
> > The busines logic behind it simply gets way to complicated if I have to
> > separate calls into "small" and "large" ones.
>
> Don't do that. *Always* use Pager. I merely noted there's no significant
> penalty in the case where the buffers are small.

Well, maybe I'm stupid or so. Someone then minds to explain the pagers ? There
is basically no documentation about them and from the code they are far from
easy to understand. What gets executed where exactly ?

> > Well, unlikely but not a bad asumption.
>
> The only way to have real security is to expect the unexpected. Just
> because you don't expect anyone to break down your door doesn't mean
> you don't lock your valuables in a safe :)

To put it that way. The only way to have a decent amount of security is to
turn your computer off and lock it into a safe. And even then there might be
bad guys.

> > Since my application will run inside a trusted environment only
>
> No such thing.
> I point above to where I remarked that whenever I hear someone say
> "trust" I translate it in my brain to "this is going to be a cracker's
> paradise". Lack of trust is good. And for the record, firewalls do
> not provide security, contrary to what people may think. They provide
> many useful features, but security is not one of them.

So where do you put your paycheck ? Into a "trusted" bank account ??
What are the useful features of a firewall besides making is hard to create
connections ? If I run a webserver inside a firewalled LAN and block all
ports on the firewall, how is a hacker supposed to take advantage of port 80,
except if he hacks the firewall (which might be hard in this case since,
remember: all ports blocked, no incoming transmission allowed)
I'd say firewalls increase the level of security, they don't provide 100%
security. I'm btw not talking about packet-filters, often sold as firewall.

	UC

--
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC	2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone:  +1 650 872 2425		San Bruno, CA 94066