[Twisted-Python] Re: Twisted and wxPython on windows

Ivo van der Wijk ivo at amaze.nl
Sat Mar 15 06:31:22 EST 2003

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 04:03:46PM +0100, Thomas Heller wrote:
> [posted and mailed]
> Ivo van der Wijk <ivo at amaze.nl> writes:
>
> > Thomas, could you please send me a link to your win32guireactor / posting?
> > I'm not able to find anything google.
>
> http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2003-February/002911.html
>

> > Also, I'm not really impressed by the basic Twisted support for wxPython -
> > it basically does a polling loop. Are better solutions impossible?
> >

> IMO the twisted wxreactor (or what it's called) does it wrong (Note that
> I'm only talking about Windows here, I have no clue about Linux or other
> systems): it tries to integrate the wxPython eventloop into twisted's
> event loop, while it should be exactly reverse: the twisted 'events'
> must be passed through wxPython's event loop, which is a Windows
> messageloop.

I agree - this is how the other reactors (gtk, qt) work as well. I assume
wxWindows doesn't have enough 'hooks' by default to create a reactor for it?

> See also the description in the post mentioned above.
> And it *should* also work unchanged with other GUI toolkits, Tkinter
> for example, although I didn't try this.
>
> But win32guireactor is incomplete and not finished, read the source to
> find out more.

Well, I'm completely unfamiliar with the win32 api. Could you give any hints
on what functionality is lacking?

Cheers

	Ivo

--
Drs. I.R. van der Wijk                                      -=-
Brouwersgracht 132                             Amaze Internet Services V.O.F.