[Twisted-Python] Updated defer.html

Christopher Armstrong radix at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Mar 9 23:46:29 EST 2003

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 09:39:19PM +0000, Clark C. Evans wrote:
> Documenting Deferreds suffers from a bootstrap problem; it is
> advantageous to introduce Deferreds before Threads, but to
> understand why you need Deferrerds you must already have
> read about Threads.   The typical solution to a bootstrap

This makes no sense. Almost *all* of Deferreds used in Twisted (and
certainly most Twisted-using code) have nothing to do with threads.

Anyway, I think having one (runnable) example that doesn't even depend
on asynchrony might even be a good thing. Something like:

  d = Deferred()
  d.addCallbacks(...)
  d.callback(x)
  # maybe another d.addCallbacks(), etc

The point would be to show that indeed Deferreds don't have anything
special to do with asynchrony (or especially threads), as well make it
more clear what Deferreds are really doing, by showing it in the
simplest manner possible.

So yeah, I think we should have a few good runnable examples in the
document, including one like I mentioned, as well as some "case-study"
things like threading, refID-mapping (This was mentioned in another
recent thread), etc.

<insert typical apologetic non-promise to implement here>

---------+     http://twistedmatrix.com/users/radix.twistd/