[Twisted-Python] Getting Stories Straight (RPYs)

Andrew Bennetts andrew-twisted at puzzling.org
Tue Jun 24 02:55:48 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 01:41:05AM -0500, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 01:13 AM, Moshe Zadka wrote:
>
> >using them incorrectly leads to horribly unmaintainable applications.
> >The best way to insure using them correctly is to not use them at all,
> >until you are on your *final* deployment stages. By then, the whole "An
> >RPY  must be less than 10 lines" will be superfluous because you will not
> >*have* more than 10 lines to write.
>
> This is a great description of RPYs.
>
> In fact, I propose that we put a hack into ResourceScript which stats
> the .rpy file after it's been run, and if it is more than 512 bytes,
> print a UserWarning like:
>
> 	Woah there, code cowboy!  It's likely you've misunderstood what RPYs
> are for.  Have you read this?
>
> http://www.twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2003-June/
> 004693.html
[...]

Except that it should refer to actual documentation, rather than the mailing
list archives!  I think Moshe's post is quite readily adaptable to slightly
more formal documentation, though, so I volunteer to do some trivial editing
and include it in the HOWTOs if people agree that's a good idea... :)

-Andrew.