[Twisted-Python] Getting Stories Straight (RPYs)

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Jun 24 02:41:05 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 01:13 AM, Moshe Zadka wrote:

> using them incorrectly leads to horribly unmaintainable applications.
> The
> best way to insure using them correctly is to not use them at all,
> until
> you are on your *final* deployment stages. By then, the whole "An RPY
> must
> be less than 10 lines" will be superfluous because you will not *have*
> more than 10 lines to write.

This is a great description of RPYs.

In fact, I propose that we put a hack into ResourceScript which stats
the .rpy file after it's been run, and if it is more than 512 bytes,
print a UserWarning like:

	Woah there, code cowboy!  It's likely you've misunderstood what RPYs
are for.  Have you read this?
	If you are quite sure that you are not committing an awful hack that
will bring doom to you and shame to your family, set
__no_seriously_this_rpy_needs_to_be_this_long__ = 5192

where 5192 is a new maximum size based on the current length of that
file, calculated for the user's convenience to include some extra
padding for the new attribute.