[Twisted-Python] Twisted and NT Services

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Mon Jun 23 22:09:47 EDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:31:53 +1000
screwtape at froup.com wrote:

> At $FIRM, a good number of processes around the place are Python
> scripts using Twisted. Since they're functionally equivalent to Unix
> daemons, what's the best way of turning a Twisted script into a
> service?

Well, ideally we'd want some equivalent of twistd that runs an NT
service, so you could write a python script that's runnable with "twistd
-y" or a TAP or whatever and do that. And then presumably you would
write the equivalent of tap2deb (tap2msi, probably) so you could easily
install and uninstall them.

No one's ever written one, though, for lack of motivation. If you'd
write this and submit it I'd love to have this in Twisted, which along
with a decent win32 reactor would give us really good win32 support. Or
you could pay someone to do it.

Or, and this is what everyone else has done, write a few mini-scripts
that run your NT services and that's it. See list archives for code that
will start a NT service.  This is of course the fastest route.

--
Itamar Shtull-Trauring    http://itamarst.org/
http://www.zoteca.com -- Python & Twisted consulting