[Twisted-Python] To twisted.web beginners: don't use RPYs

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Mon Jun 23 16:31:52 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 02:20:02PM -0500, Bill Gribble wrote:
> >   site = server.Site(Simple())
> >   reactor.listenTCP(8080, site)
> >   reactor.run()
> ... and moshez barfed up a kidney when I said I was doing listenTCP
> manually, saying that listenTCP was about to be deprecated with extreme
> prejudice and should be avoided.  No real reason given other than "it's
> a bad idea".

  listenTCP (and friends) will be around until 2.0, at least.  They may not
be the -preferred- approach long before then, but they will at least be
available (as a rather central part of a core, stable API, taking them away
would be like hacking off both of Twisted's legs at the knee).

It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to
students that have had prior exposure to BASIC: as potential
programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of
regeneration.        -- Dijkstra