[Twisted-Python] Hep and Twisted (Was: Twisted-webserver hangs when serving big files)

Moshe Zadka m at moshez.org
Mon Jun 9 14:32:15 EDT 2003

On 09 Jun 2003, Abe Fettig <abe at fettig.net> wrote:

> * The application: Hep should be a .tap-able twisted plugin.  At the
> moment it's not.  This is assuming that it's possible to create a plugin
> that combines multiple kinds of servers (http, pop3, imap, etc) into a
> single application.  Also I believe that if I was using a twisted
> Application object there would be some kind of official Twisted way to
> share objects between my different servers.  It's been a while since I
> read the plugin docs.  I'll do so soon.

The bottom line: it should be dead easy. I recommend also reading
the "application" document. Also, there's no documentation for
ApplicationService, but there are lots of time where ApplicationServices
are the correct way to share information between services. The source
(and the API reference) is the best documentation here. Of course,
as always, more documentation would be appreciated.

> * The SMTP server: Currently going through a rewrite in CVS.  I need to
> set up code to manage the outgoing message queue, and keep track of
> which messages have been delivered to which locations.  Is there code in
> twisted.mail to do this? (Keep in mind some messages are being delivered
> to blogs and other non-SMTP locations)

twisted.mail is also going a rewrite, so I'd wait for Jp to comment.
Note that again, ApplicationService may be a nice thing here, especially
if it's data that you *could* recover from the messages themselves on
startup. Otherwise, it is better to look into some safer persistence
strategy such as dirdbm or world (although world is fairly unstable).

Bottom line: put configuration data in the Application, share configuration
between multiple servers via ApplicationServices, put non-critical data
in ApplicationServices and critical data in safer formats like databases.
--
Moshe Zadka -- http://moshez.org/
Buffy: I don't like you hanging out with someone that... short.