[Twisted-Python] (Summary) The problem with Twisted...

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Jun 7 08:49:39 EDT 2003

On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 07:53 AM, Peter Hansen wrote:

> Basically, in my mind, there is no reason to distinguish between
> marketing
> and "traditional" XP development, as both should look the same if one
> is
> doing them most effectively.

Somehow, I feel as though the God of Ethical and Intelligent Marketing
Practices is posting to this mailing list.

> Of course, if by "marketing Twisted" you meant someone actually wants
> do the glossy brochure thing on the product, like souping up the web
> site
> and writing intros for managers, I'm not sure I have much advice except
> I don't think it's such a good idea. :-)

Yes.  This is definitely not a good idea.

First of all, do we really want to attract managers who are swayed by
glossy brochure marketing material?  We have a top-notch user community
at the moment, and I know there are a lot of really interesting
projects going on in the Twistedverse; while it is certainly tempting
to attempt Total World Domination (TM), eliminating PHP/mod_perl/your
favorite sucky web technology, the only real benefit is enabling smart
people who work for stupid people to have a good time.

We could always use improvement of our technical documentation, but I
think that as a technical community, we generally have a poor
understanding of what makes the stereotypical bad manager's mind work.
We need to be able to understand their legitimate concerns without
caving in to their apparently irrational need for a security blanket of
"web services" and "b2b p2p" and "enterprise ready".

I have a feeling that if we _did_ try to produce such a website, the
resulting material would sound indistinguishable (to our ears) from the
average industry rag advertisement, but that it would feel vaguely
insulting to the people we were trying to reach, because it would be an
unintentional parody of that style.