[Twisted-Python] Re: Twisted - Python 2.3 - Windows

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Jul 31 13:41:53 EDT 2003

At 07:05 PM 7/31/03 +0200, Thomas Heller wrote:
>Cory Dodt <corydodt at yahoo.com> writes:
>
> >>Subject: [Twisted-Python] Twisted - Python 2.3 - Windows
> >>
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >> anyone who knows when the first Python 2.3 build of twisted for
> >> windows will be available? Which version will it be?
> >>
> >> I tried to build it myself but got into trouble. I first installed
> >> Cygwin and then tried 'setup.py build --compiler=mingw32' as per
> >> documentation, but I got an error message that Python itself is
> >> build with Visual Studio 6.
> >>I don't feel building python myself and I don't have VS6.
> >>

> > I'm with you man,  I don't feel like building Python myself either.  I
> > have asked the appropriate list
> > (http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2003-July/003333.html )
> > about this problem.  I also tried using distutils from CVS instead of
> > the bundled copy with Python 2.3, and no luck.

It looks like the error occurs when an MSVCCompiler instance is created; I
haven't yet figured out *why* such an instance is being created.  I don't
have 2.3 installed on Win32, so as an experiment, I added a 'raise'
statement to 2.2's MSVCCompiler.  If I specified compilation with msvc, I
get the error I raised.  If I specify mingw32, I don't.  So, evidently
2.2's distutils don't create an MSVCCompiler instance when specifying
mingw32.  I can't fathom why 2.3 would do so.