[Twisted-Python] Twisted and Rendezvous

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Wed Jul 30 17:56:47 EDT 2003

screwtape at froup.com writes:

> A few weeks ago, someone on the list mentioned Rendezvous support for
> Twisted. Curious, I picked up the Rendezvous specification documents,
> and got to hacking.

That's cool. I'm not sure this falls into the same scope, but it occurred to
me that it would be handy to have a DNS server that provided SRV records
based upon registrations arriving from other server programs. If the
application (say, an HTTP server) launched, started listening on an
arbitrary port, then told the DNS/SRV server its service name and port
number, the DNS server could start feeding appropriate SRV records for the
application.

I'd have the application keep a TCP connection open to the DNS server, and
if that connection went down, the SRV record would be removed. It would work
a lot like dynamic DNS, except per-application instead of per-host.

just looking to plant some idea seeds..
 -Brian