[Twisted-Python] Twisted and Rendezvous

screwtape at froup.com screwtape at froup.com
Wed Jul 30 09:02:40 EDT 2003

A few weeks ago, someone on the list mentioned Rendezvous support for
Twisted. Curious, I picked up the Rendezvous specification documents,
and got to hacking.

What I've got so far is almost half a multicast DNS responder. The
multicast DNS specification covers two main areas - asking other hosts
for DNS records and serving out DNS records yourself. My code at the
moment sends out queries and caches the responses in more or less the
proper fashion, but does not respond to requests.

The upshot of all this is that you can look things up over multicast
DNS, but you can't advertise your own services.

The code was written on Linux and tested against Mac OS X 10.2.6
(it'll never run on OS X or any other operating system that includes a
Rendezvous service), and seems to Do The Right Thing.

You can find a nice tarball here:

	http://members.optusnet.com.au/thristian/mDNS-0.5.tar.gz

It contains the main module (mDNS.py) and a simple API demonstration
(mDNS-test.py). There's lots of comments and docstrings, so it
shouldn't be too hard to figure things out.

If you're interested in Rendezvous support for Python, download it and
have a play, then tell me what you think.

--