[Twisted-Python] Implementing a syslog-deamon ??

Alex Levy mesozoic at polynode.com
Thu Jul 10 15:28:44 EDT 2003

Twisted suddenly isn't so painful, is it?  :)

I'm working on a similar (though more convoluted) project to collect logs
and general event information from a wide array of sources.  I started with
syslog because it was easy to implement.  Next up are Windows Event Logs,
MySQL databases, and FBI employee records. (Whoops; forget I said that last
part.)

I've written something that's probably close to what you have -- a server
that listens for syslog messages, then does stuff with them.  (Only I've
implemented it for TCP, which requires syslog-ng; I'd like to see whether
UDP is much different.)

As soon as my code is to a semi-workable state, I plan on releasing it (and
posting to the list, of course) -- this should be another week or so.
In the meantime, could we see what you've come up with?

Working examples and discussion of coding practices are a Good Thing,
especially when you can get the senior Twisted guys involved ;)

--
Alex Levy
WWW: http://mesozoic.geecs.org

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right."
 -- Salvor Hardin, Isaac Asimov's _Foundation_