[Twisted-Python] Arbitrary Port/Connector objects

Kevin Turner acapnotic at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Jan 30 06:47:14 EST 2003

A few comments made by other people on IRC that I want to make sure are
archived somewhere, because maybe they things I've seen while trying to
clean up freshcvs persistability recently.  The context is a discussion
of exarkun's upcoming patch, based on the one in the start of this

<glyph> exarkun: listenWith ought to say something about the
persistability of the IListeningPort being passed in.
<exarkun> glyph: it's taking a class/type - those should always be
persistable, yea?
<glyph> exarkun: Not necessarily; sockets aren't persistable, so it's
easy to screw up a ListeningPort instance :-)
<exarkun> Ahh, hmm
<glyph> oh wait, hang on, you're right ...
<glyph> This illustrates a serious flaw in the design of Application :-\
<glyph> or well, not serious, but annoying.
<glyph> Really we ought not be storing constructor arguments, we should
be storing state objects.
 * exarkun nods, "That would be better."
<glyph> That's the way it started out, but when the reactor refactor
happened this didn't get cleaned up like it should have.

(Some settling may have occurred during transcription.)

The moon is waning crescent, 6.0% illuminated, 27.2 days old.