[Twisted-Python] ["Edmund Lian" <elian at inbrief.net>] [Webware-discuss] Comments about Twisted?

Uwe C. Schroeder uwe at oss4u.com
Sun Feb 23 21:40:54 EST 2003

On Sunday 23 February 2003 05:22 pm, Travis B. Hartwell wrote:
> I received the following mail today from the webware-discuss mailing
> list.  I can't seem to get to the online archives, so I forwarded it
> to the group.
>
> I don't feel like I yet know enough about Webware or parts of Twisted
> to answer this, but perhaps someone (glyph, fzZzy, or itamar?) could
> respond to this.

Well, the answer is relatively simple. Webware is, as the name already
suggests - a web application server with some components. This means it is
used in WEB applications. Twisted in contrary can be used for web
applications, but I think a lot of people use it as the server side of a
non-web application (like I do). Twisted incorporates way more protocols than
webware does - actually does webware support anything else than http(s) ?
For example my app doesn't use the internet.web part of twisted at all. I just
use the perspective broker for accessing remote objects - a capability I
can't find in webware.
You probably might want to compare webware with Zope - I think those two are
closer.

	UC

--
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC	2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone:  +1 650 872 2425		San Bruno, CA 94066