[Twisted-Python] daemonization

Clark C. Evans cce at clarkevans.com
Sun Feb 23 16:21:28 MST 2003

Hello.  I've got my application working nicely (well, the linkage
to postgresql still needs work) and it looks sort of like:

if __name__ == '__main__':
    root = Resource()
    root.putChild("dynamic",MyDynamicResource())
    root.putChild("",Redirect("/static/"))
    root.putChild("static",static.File("/path/to/me/webpages"))
    site = server.Site(root)
    appl = Application("whatever")
    appl.listenTCP(8081,site)
    appl.run()

What I'd like to do now is have this act like a deamon where
I run a command like:

  server start     # starts server, and then returns
  server stop      # stops server
  server reload    # reloads server

also including functionality of logging to a given file
and rotating the logs as necessary.  Anyway, I'm sure there
is shell script magic to do this or I could copy the deamon
example in the ASPN Cookbook...
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/66012

But, I was wondering if there was a simple thing I could inherit
from which would do such a thing automagically.

Clark

P.S. Yes, I suppose this is what that "taps" thing is all
about... however, it doesn't seem to do the deamon
management well (it doesn't do stop/start/reload, right?)