[Twisted-Python] A useful value for argv[0]

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sun Feb 16 20:46:39 EST 2003

On Sunday, Feb 16, 2003, at 20:12 America/New_York, Anthony Baxter
wrote:

>> Nope. I think there was a patch for Python to allow it to be mutable,
>> but nobody wanted to allow a change to main(), or something.
>
> More accurately, no-one was willing to take on the platform-dependency
> hell that it would cause. argv[0] setting works quite differently
> across
> all sorts of different platforms.

Yeah, for example, on OS X the WindowServer and application frameworks
use it to determine the location of stuff in an application bundle --
and if it doesn't point inside an application bundle,  you're not
allowed to make it a GUI application (unless it's CFM, or you  do some
nasty unsupported undocumented stuff).  I've heard at least one Apple
employee insinuate that this is a bug, but since that's been the state
of affairs for over a year it's got a pretty low priority.

-bob