[Twisted-Python] Re: In Defense of Taps

Steve Waterbury waterbug at beeblebrox.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 12 23:42:01 EST 2003

Bob Ippolito wrote:
> ....  As I see it, TAPs are not particularly
> useful for developers *until* they're ready to distribute their
> applications.  ...

I may be missing your point, but I don't find TAPs "unuseful",
even though I haven't yet begun to distribute my application.
As I said, one of the first things I did was write a
tap creation script, pgertap.py, for my application, and it
helped me organize my thoughts on planning config options,
how various modules should start up in the server, etc.  Once
in a while I'll refactor something and have to make a little
adjustment in pgertap.py, but that's almost a useful thing
in itself, in that pgertap.py contains a very brief synopsis
of the architecture.

When I make a change to the server and want to try it out,
all I have to do is, in my "tap building" directory:

kill `cat twistd.pid`
rm * (remove the old taps and log file)
  [in a root shell, run setup.py in PanGalactic dir to reinstall]
mktap pger
twistd -f pger.tap

Doesn't get much easier than that.  Kind of gives a warm and
fuzzy to know the install/mktap/run process works each
time, anyway.

As a relatively naive user of twisted, I only have a superficial,
mechanical understanding of taps, but that doesn't bother me ...
the simple little tap incantations make the twisted magic seem
friendly somehow.

Cheers,
-- Steve.