In Defense of Taps (was Re: [Twisted-Python] where to begin)

Moshe Zadka twisted at moshez.org
Tue Feb 11 01:35:20 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:

> taps are to simplify running daemons, you don't need them for anything.
>   I don't use them for anything myself.

I want to explain why taps are useful: Twisted is a Python framework. However,
we want non-Python-literate people to be able to use parts of it (such as
the Web server or the SSH server) without having to learn Python. One way
would have been to write seperate applications: "runTwistedWeb", etc. etc.,
polluting bin. Another way is to use the plugin mechanism to completely
divorce flexible configuration via command-line arguments (mktap) from
running and choosing a reactor (twistd). While it is completely possible
to use twistd with just Python code, naive users will find it easier
to create a tap and then run it.

--
Moshe Zadka -- http://moshez.org/
Buffy: I don't like you hanging out with someone that... short.