[Twisted-Python] where to begin

Itamar Shtull-Trauring twisted at itamarst.org
Tue Feb 11 00:07:16 EST 2003

On 11 Feb 2003 16:59:49 +1300
Rob Brown-Bayliss <rob at zoism.org> wrote:

> Every thing seems to link on to something else, deffereds, it's own
> web servewr etc, it seems like it's a joke, or if not then certianly
> overkill for sending data over sockets.

You don't need to use the web server.

> Yet at the same time it seems to say "This is what you need Rob,
> Twisted it is"

The point is Twisted does networking. From low level to high level, it
has what you need. But you can ignore most of the bits that aren't
relevant.

> And what is the point of tap's?  why
> not just run the python code as I would any other code?  why would I
> want to change reactors at startup?

TAPs are not required, they are optional. Choosing a reactor is how you
decide to use e.g. the GTK+ event loop instead of the default one.

> It just seems to defy logic, where as useing pythonx xml-rpc or the
> spread module is simple and obvious,

Using any part of twisted is simple. Trying to understand all of it at
once is not. Which is a problem.

Maybe looking through some examples will help:
http://www.twistedmatrix.com/documents/examples/pbgtk.py is a sample app
using GTK and PB.