[Twisted-Python] Fw: Re: Zope and Twisted

Itamar Shtull-Trauring twisted at itamarst.org
Wed Feb 5 11:58:54 EST 2003

This was my reply.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:46:40 -0500
From: Itamar Shtull-Trauring <itamar at zoteca.com>
To: "Pierre Johnson"
Subject: Re: Zope and Twisted

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:54:39 -0800
"Pierre Johnson" wrote:

> Twisted does not conform well to the OSI model. Each layer should have
> an abstraction and implementation for whatever it is one wants to
> implement.

TCP/IP doesn't follow the OSI model. For example see
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/usail/network/nfs/network_layers.html

> Additionally, one need include a interfaces module that keeps
> interfaces separate from implementation.

Have you seen twisted.internet.interfaces? Admittedly, not everything is
documented there, but we're getting there.

> OSI.Application.FTP.py
>
>     import OSI.Transport.TCP
>     import OSI.Network.IP
>     import OSI.Session.DNS
>     import OSI.Application
>
>     class FTP(Application, DNS,TCP,IP)

All I can see from this is that you don't understand the meaning of the
word "transport" and "protocol", since that code combines them into one
class. Also that you don't really understand the way networking works
(DNS certainly should not be a mixin even if we do a bad design and
inherit from TCP).

Oh, and that python code is wrong (you want "from OSI.Transport import
TCP").

I would suggest that you do some real networking programming, then look
at Twisted again.