[Twisted-Python] Recovering PB references on broken connection?

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Dec 29 19:00:57 EST 2003

On Dec 29, 2003, at 11:52 AM, Jp Calderone wrote:

>   I'm not sure if there is any reason, other than trickiness factor,
> that
> this isn't implemented directly in twisted.spread.  Perhaps there is a
> hidden issue I am unaware of, or maybe it is simply that no one has
> wanted
> it badly enough to write it :)

Reference counting.  There has to be a meta-connection around to hold
references to the "live" state, which, IMHO, would be better
implemented as an extra-robust byte-level stream at a lower level.
Even with such a connection, it's bad to count on the stateful
existence of references to individual objects which stay live over a
long period of time.  The initial login handshake should get you to a
"naming" object within a few steps, and then have a higher-level API
for loading published objects from persistence or wherever.

Right now this has to be ad-hoc because there is no clear universal way
to specify persistent, reliable object IDs that are "macro" enough not
to change when small implementation details of the protocol shift.  Any
object has to have an ID number that can be compared for identity but
some objects are more equal than others.