[Twisted-Python] Twisted Weekly News #10

Luc Stepniewski lstep at adequat.net
Sun Dec 28 19:00:49 EST 2003

Twisted Weekly News #10
.. contents::

There wasn't too much mail this week, so I merged the previous TWN with the
current, as I was ill last week.

If you have any new information, ideas, announcements for the next TWN, please
write to me, <lior at gradstein.info>.
TWN is also available as HTML formated ReST on http://gradstein.info/articles/
twisted_news/twisted_news/twn10

The Twisted Weekly News
-------------------------

9&10th Issue. Sunday, December 28, 2003

QOTW::
 http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2003-December/006789.html
 From a mail by Alan McIntyre:
 "I just wanted to thank the Twisted developers for making such a cool
 piece of software. [...] Thanks to Twisted and Python, I was able to
 start from scratch and put  together a server to present some of this
 data via XML-RPC in about 2 or 3 hours (and that includes looking up
 a lot of stuff in the documentation)."

Discussions
-------------

   * http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/
twisted-python/2003-December/006786.html
     Jonathan Simms asked for help on his new (new) ftp server code which
     is currently in sandbox. He asks for help to resolve some problems with
     authentication on the Windows side.

   * http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/
twisted-python/2003-December/006828.html
     More and more people are becoming interested in integrating Twisted
     stuff into their projects. Last week, RodrigB asked about The Circle.
     This week, Valentino Volonghi asks about the possibility (wish) to
     replace the pygame event loop with a Twisted reactor.

   * http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/
twisted-python/2003-December/006820.html
     Michal Pasternak made some tests on Twisted, and noticed some
     performance degradation after 40 simultaneous connections. Itamar
     replied there wasn't anything hardcoded that would change Twisted
     behaviour above 40 simultaneous connections.

Cool Thing of the Week
-----------------------

 * **Treasure of code examples and tutorials for nevow** (http://
www.livejournal.com/users/fzzzy/)
   fzZzy updated his new blog on LiveJournal with a lot of code samples he
   wrote for people who asked questions on irc. The second lecture he gave
   on irc is also available (http://soundfarmer.com/content/logs/
NevowLecture2-121503.txt).
   With these docs and the previous more "in-depth" documentation from justinj
   (http://stewstuff.com/doc/nevow.xhtml) you do not any excuse for not
learning nevow!
 * **SFTP support in Zope (using Twisted!)** (http://twistedmatrix.com/
pipermail/twisted-python/2003-December/006839.html)
   Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote some support (http://cvs.zope.org/Packages/
SFTPGateway/) for the sftp protocol to be included in Zope. The result may be
available as a separate product in a near future.
 * **Impacket** (http://oss.corest.com/projects/impacket.html) Not related
   to Twisted, but interesting anyway.Itamar recommended us to take a look
   at this python library which provides low-level programmatic access to
   network packets (tcp, udp, etc.).  There is also a python pcap
   implementation on their web site.
 * **Reminder about the web forum** (http://twisted.banquise.org/)
   May I remind you that a web interface exists for those that prefer
   reading informations online? We're barely 8 now, but nobody posts
   anything which can be discussed :-(

Current releases

  * Twisted: 1.1.1 (released 2003-12-10)
  * Quotient: 0.8.8 (released 2003-12-12)
  * Twisted Java: 0.6.1

Ok, that's it for this week. Thanks for reading!