[Twisted-Python] Twisted is cool

Alan McIntyre alan at norfolkgraphics.com
Mon Dec 15 07:05:17 EST 2003

Hi all,

I just wanted to thank the Twisted developers for making such a cool
piece of software.  We received a question from a customer late Friday
afternoon about remotely viewing data from their data acquisition
system.  There are short-term options that involve using their existing
fat clients over a VPN, communicating with a server via a proprietary
format, but that's not acceptable long-term (for many reasons), so I
figured I would try making a web-based demo in Python.

Thanks to Twisted and Python, I was able to start from scratch and put
together a server to present some of this data via XML-RPC in about 2 or
3 hours (and that includes looking up a lot of stuff in the
documentation).  I'm currently using PHP to display the data on a web
page, but I may eventually use Twisted for that as well.

If I had tried to do this in C/C++, or if even if I'd tried to do this
in Python without Twisted, I'd probably still be fighting with it for a
good part of this week.  But now I have a demo put together, it's been
running for about 7 hours with no problems, and we can go from saying
"we'll look into that" to "oh, yeah, here's something we put together
from scratch in our spare time" in less than one business day.

Of course there's a long way to go before this becomes a production
product, but hopefully this means I will be working with Twisted and
Python a lot more in the future, and hopefully I'll be able to tell more
about it as time goes on.  Again, many thanks for such a wonderful piece
of software.

Happy Monday,
Alan