[Twisted-Python] Using Twisted in a network project

Hegedus, Matthew S matthew.s.hegedus at lmco.com
Thu Dec 4 13:03:19 EST 2003

Howdy all,

Here's my problem: I'm in a situation where applications on a LAN need to be
able to transmit UDP packets to other apps on the same LAN and on other LANS
acroos the WAN. On the WAN there may be many routers in between that are not
configured for multicast and cannot be reconfigured by users interested in
multicasting. So multicast is out, and we are left with broadcast and
point-to-point transmissions. For performance concerns, it's not viable to
have each application do a point-to-point transmission to all other apps
that are not on the same subnet. So I am left with a
broadcast/point-to-point compromise.

My potential solution: Have a system (let's call it "Custom Router X")
sitting on each LAN with the apps running. Custom Router 1's purpose will be
to run code that grabs the applications' broadcasted UDP packets off of the
LAN, send the UDP packets point-to-point to Custom Router 2..N (where N is
the number of non-local LANS where these interesting apps are running) on
the non-local LANS, and listen for point-to-point UDP packets to
re-broadcast locally received from any of the other Custom Router's.

I would like to use Twisted if I could to write the code running on these
Custom Routers to achieve what I've described.

Question #1: Does this idea sound rediculous?
Question #2: If so, does anyone have any better suggestions?
Question #3: If this idea is reasonable in theory, should I be worried about
Twisted/Python network performance?

Thank you and Gigem,

Matthew