[Twisted-Python] Please try - experimental wxPython reactor

Uwe C. Schroeder uwe at oss4u.com
Wed Dec 3 00:36:35 EST 2003

on a quick look it seems to work. I noticed it's a bit slow on the display
(client) side. That may probably be tweaked with the timer setting in the
WxReactor class. My application actually loads a 1.5 MB wx.Xressource file,
smaller applications might not have that problem.

I noted that in my app no labels (wx.StaticText) show up. This can be due to
the timing issue above, or simply because I only quickly disabled my timer
solution and put the reactor in. I didn't really do a comprehensive test.
wxreactor needs the latest RC2 and I'm still using pre 1.1.0 - so I certainly
get a bunch of depreciation warnings.
Whenever I've got time to switch my app over to 1.1.x I'll do more
comprehensive testing.
At least it doesn't get stuck when entering a modal dialog or a pulldown menu.
I currently just don't have the time/manpower to pull my application to the
new API. Maybe it's also not the brightest idea to test with a huge
application (currently some 10 MB sourcecode)
But it's definitely a good start. I'll try using it on smaller projects that I
can start off with 1.1.x
But it looks very promising to finally have support out of the box.
I'll also give it a shot on windows.

Suggestion: I'll try to tweak the timer settings in the next days. If that
shows the desired effect, maybe you can parametrize the settings to allow
tweaking it to application needs.

On Tuesday 02 December 2003 07:53 pm, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
> Attached is an attempt at making a wxPython reactor, allowing easy
> integration of Twisted applications with wxPython. I'm hoping it solves
> the issues that the current wx support has. See docstring for usage.
> Please, if you have a wxPython/Twisted app, try this out and tell me if
> it works.

- --
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC	2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone:  +1 650 872 2425		San Bruno, CA 94066
Cell:   +1 650 302 2405		United States
Fax:    +1 650 872 2417
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (GNU/Linux)