[Twisted-Python] Twisted Slow? Woven - Production Ready?

Donovan Preston dp at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Aug 22 18:01:30 EDT 2003

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 2:31 PM, Richard Johannesson wrote:

> It seems the twistedmatrix.com website tends to be pretty slow.
> What hardware is the twistedmatrix.com website being run on?
> Where is it hosted? I'm in California.

The problem with twistedmatrix.com is that it is currently hosted on
768kbit/sec SDSL...

> Is Twisted + Woven ready for production web apps?
>  - Is Woven API stable?

Woven's API is approaching stability. LivePage is currently the only
portion of the API which will still be changing significantly, and it is
possible to make complex apps without even knowing what LivePage is.

>  - Good HTML / XHTML support

Woven templates are XML and woven itself outputs XML.

>  - Scales to multiple web servers / load balancing

Whether this works is really up to how you design your app. Is your
back-end
data store designed to support scaling across multiple machines?

> Just seems from what I've read twisted is supposed to be pretty close
> Apache + mod_python in terms of performance. Would be nice to find out
> the
> limitation of the platform before hiring and training developers to
> build
> web apps on this platform. Knowing the major limitations can start
> planning
> for it and add that to the head count so those fixes or needed
> development
> gets done.

Apache will be faster for serving static files because that is what it
is designed
for; twisted + woven will be faster for large, very complex, very
dynamic web
applications because that is what it is designed for. Really, the
biggest
increase you will see is in programmer and designer productivity; woven
is engineered to cleanly separate the template from the code so that
skinning
becomes trivial; and to support compositing of small components into
large,
complex components so that your programmers focus on the functionality
of the app, not the complexities inherit in generating HTML and handling
form input.

dp