[Twisted-Python] Re: [Pyobjc-dev] Re: pdb in PyObjC apps?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Aug 20 18:18:54 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003, at 02:25 America/New_York, Ronald Oussoren
wrote:

> Why didn't you use PyObjC? Is there functionality in CoreFoundation
> that is not in Cocoa or are there other reasons?

CFSocket notifications, (theoretical) Carbon runloop support, etc.  I
wrote it in Pyrex after a huge waste of time trying to get it to work
reliably in ctypes (callbacks would eventually start jumping to random
locations in memory under load, core dump on uncaught exceptions,
etc... I think it could be a libffi issue), and I didn't want to go
through the same ordeal with PyObjC's callbacks after my last failed
attempt to do Rendezvous callbacks with it.  The Pyrex module was not
hard to write, and my wrapper does take a  CFRunLoopRef from a PyObjC
NSRunLoop if you're trying to integrate it with Cocoa or whatever.

-bob