[Twisted-Python] Sessions and URLs

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Aug 9 23:29:08 EDT 2003

On Saturday, August 9, 2003, at 11:45 AM, Edmund Dengler wrote:

> So, the code is structured such that a cookie is not available, the
> normal
> children still get returned. Is this suppose to be how it works? Should
> this be changed so that a flag is available for "force session"? Or
> should
> a session always be forced (no option)?

Sorry, this should be documented.  You correctly figured out the series
of steps (more or less) but you missed the annotation of the request

SessionWrapper mangles the request, slightly changing the semantics of
getSession, so that it may return None.
UsernamePasswordWrapper.getChild begins with

         s = request.getSession()
         if s is None:
             return request.setupSession()

since it currently requires a session in order to operate.  Eventually
I hope to remove this and have it operate without a session when

> Should we have a pattern such as "session-name:cookie" so we can do a
> pattern match for old sessions no longer cached (and force a new
> session)?

"pattern match"?  No, we just use a dictionary lookup.  SessionWrapper
will already create a new session when the old one is no longer cached.