[Twisted-Python] NNTP/SMTP authentication

Abe Fettig abe at fettig.net
Wed Apr 30 13:27:53 EDT 2003

Hi folks,

In order to really get NNTP and SMTP (securely) integrated with Hep I
need to get authentication working.  Both of these protocols support
authentication, although it's not required by the core RFCs.  But as far
as I can tell neither of the modules in twisted/protocols supports
authentication at the moment.

Is anyone working on this already?  If not, I'd like to do it myself,
and I'd appreciate some help in understanding the 'right' way to
implement authentication in Twisted.  I've been looking at J.P.'s IMAP4
work in CVS, and I can see he's using identities and perspectives
(although I don't have a complete understanding of how these work).  Is
the use of twisted.cred preferred?  Other drivers, such as POP3, don't
seem to use it...

Thanks,

Abe