[Twisted-Python] twisted 30% slower than asyncore?

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Wed Apr 30 04:01:05 EDT 2003

I kinda suspected that twisted might be slower than asyncore for the
straight go-hell-for-leather usage in pythondirector, but I'd not got
around to actually testing it. It seems like it's nearly 30% slower
than the equivalent asyncore code! This seems a bit higher than I'd
expect -- but given all the extra overhead of object creation I guess
it's not all that surprising. Current CVS python, Twisted 1.0.4.

Has anyone else done similar benchmarking and found different results?
I'm not planning on switching the default back to asyncore - the
asyncore code is just too brittle for my tastes.

(FWIW, the two equivalent modules are
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pythondirector/pythondirector/pydirector/pdnetworktwisted.py?only_with_tag=HEAD
and
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pythondirector/pythondirector/pydirector/pdnetworkasyncore.py?only_with_tag=HEAD