[Twisted-Python] Reloading of the same `.rpy' file

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Apr 29 10:41:50 EDT 2003

Hi, Twisted people.

Playing with resource files, I noticed that the outer-level code within
`.rpy' files is executed again every time the page using them is fetched by
the browser.  If `test.py' contains:

---------------------------------------------------------------------->
print "Hello!"

resource = ...
----------------------------------------------------------------------<

than each `Alt-R' within Netscape, once `http://localhost:8080/test.rpy' has
been loaded, will have "Hello!" added to the Twisted log file.

I would have expected the resource file to be loaded once, and reused after
without being wholly re-initialised each time.  I tried "import remanent"
within the resource file, and checked that "remanent" is loaded and
intialised only once (moreover, it gets compiled!), so I'm tempted to move
all code from `test.rpy' into `remanent.py' and reduce `test.rpy' to a mere:

---------------------------------------------------------------------->
import remanent
resource = remanent.resource
----------------------------------------------------------------------<

which is a bit ridiculous if it has to be a standard idiom.

On the other hand, for debugging, I agree it is a bit handsome being able to
modify `test.rpy' and trying the new version without restarting the server.
This is a weak justification however.  Whenever the `.tap' file needs to be
rebuilt, the server needs to be restarted anyway.  This soon warrants a
Makefile, and adding another dependency over `test.rpy' is a simple matter.

Maybe the Twisted design is trying, here, to spare memory by not keeping
`.rpy' code in its memory, in case these would be very numerous or contain a
lot of code?  Or trying to protect itself against leaks from such, but how?
I have the vague feeling that I'm missing something important in this area.
Would some soul be kind enough to accept enlightening mine? :-)