[Twisted-Python] Re: Twisted 1.0.4 - Heavy search for `plugins.tml'

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Sun Apr 27 22:28:25 EDT 2003

On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 02:25:28PM -0400, Francois Pinard wrote:
> [Christopher Armstrong]
>
> > It's not using the shell load path.  /usr/bin just happens to be in
> > your sys.path.
>
> No, it is not.  How can you be so assertive?

  If your "twistd" is in /usr/bin, then the '' at the beginning of sys.path
refers to /usr/bin.  It is not at all clear to me that it would be correct
to remove '' from the .tml search path.  It would result in greatly enhanced
mktap performance, but it could also lead to confusing behavior (and the
behavior of .tml searching is more than confusing enough already).

> > And inventing a new environment variable is contrary to the stated goal,
> > which is the lack of a registration process (apart from what you need
> > to do to have your package work with Python).
>
> Stated where?  The book does not clearly indicate (or I did not read that
> part yet) where `.tml' files are exactly looked for.
>
> > Now, are you actually having a *problem* with the performance of mktap?
>
> I'm surely a patient man.  Yet, `mktap' could be faster, and nobody
> would complain.

  I certainly wouldn't ;)

  What twisted/python/plugins.py does is not particularly difficult.  Python
makes it difficult to do efficiently (perhaps because it is difficult to do
efficiently in a platform independant way).  If someone with more POSIX-foo
than I could take a good look at what it does, and see if there really is a
portable way we could implement parts of it in C (and maybe get those bits
added to Python itself), that'd be fantastic.

> [snip - searched paths]

  Thanks again for the bug reports.  Please, keep them coming :)

  Jp

--
"If you find a neighbor in need, you're responsible for serving that
neighbor in need, you're responsible for loving a neighbor just like you'd