[Twisted-Python] Re: Twisted 1.0.4 - admin/runtests failures?

Francois Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Apr 23 19:48:42 EDT 2003

[Jp Calderone]

>   Thanks for the report.

OK.  So it was OK to send it. :-)

> > ===============================================================================
> > FAILURE: testStderr (twisted.test.test_process.PosixProcessTestCase)
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >    File "/var/tmp/Twisted-1.0.4/twisted/test/test_process.py", line 386, in testStderr
> >     self.assertEquals(lsOut, p.errF.getvalue())
> >  FailTest: '/bin/ls: ZZXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX: Aucun fichier ou r\xe9pertoire de ce type\n' != '/bin/ls: ZZXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX: No such file or directory\n'

>   Woops.  This is a localization problem.  Maybe it should be an expected
> skip for certain values of LC_LANG?  Or maybe we should just not use ls.

And / or, maybe, the overall testing environment (not the user) should
reset LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_LANG, LC_ALL and LC_MESSAGES before proceeding,
all to non set, or less ideally, set to empty, to `C' or to `POSIX'.

> > ===============================================================================
> > ERROR: testMulticast (twisted.test.test_udp.MulticastTestCase)
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >    File "/var/tmp/Twisted-1.0.4/twisted/trial/unittest.py", line 188, in runOneTest
> >     method(testCase)
> >    File "/var/tmp/Twisted-1.0.4/twisted/test/test_udp.py", line 186, in testMulticast
> >     self.assertEquals(self.server.packets[0][0], "hello world")
> >  IndexError: list index out of range

>   Multicast is known to be broken in a few situations.  Can you describe
> your network setup.  In particular, do you have a firewall configured, or is
> the machine performing NAT?

Wow!  All this from a mere "list index out of range"! :-)

There is indeed a firewall on the machine I use for testing Twisted, at
least on the network card facing the Internet, and masquereding is done
for internal machines forwarded from a second network card.  I would not
think beforehand that localhost as limitations against itself, however,
but am never fully sure, I do not often visit the firewall configuration.
I naively think that I can access localhost:ANYPORT without the firewall
being in the way.

I'm willing to revisit the firewall if you have a suggestion for me about
how to carefully open it, enough for Twisted to work reliably.

I surely could use, for testing Twisted, an internal machine which has
no intrinsic firewall, on some other internal network, but this might
not be where I want to run it in the long run.  Opinions?