[Twisted-Python] Twisted 1.0.4 - `mktap --help SERVER'

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Wed Apr 23 19:35:56 EDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 07:06:24PM -0400, Francois Pinard wrote:
> Hi, still me.

  Hi :)

> After having quickly glanced over the manual, I'm reading it a bit more
> carefully now, and if comments like this message continue to pop up, you
> will observe my progression, or non-progression if I cannot find enough
> time :-), without my real will.  Sigh!  OK, let not me be too shy...
>
> Page 21 (2.2.3 mktap and tapconvert) says: "For a given server, `mktap
> --help <name>' shows the possible configuration options.".  The following
> shell script:

  After looking at this for more minutes than it probably merited, I feel
that this usage should stay gone (rather than have mktap be fixed to
work as documented).

  It requires --help to be both a flag and a parameter, which usage does not
support directly.  It is also trivially achieved by reversing the order of
the arguments to be "mktap <name> --help".

  Any objections?  If not, I'll check in a doc fix tomorrow.

> [snip]
>
> All in all, I'm left with the impression that `--help' does not work,
> or at least, not as documented in the book.

  Thank you for pointing this out.

> It might be worth, maybe, adding another unit test which makes sure that
> `mktap --help <name>' produces for all servers, some output (on standard
> output ideally, not standard error), or no output at all, but surely no
> traceback, and with an exit status that would be consistently zero.

  I agree.  There are effectively no unit tests for either mktap or twistd,
and the acceptance tests only test it in well-formed cases, which are nice,
but probably the least important ones to *test*, since that is how the
developers will all be invoked the tools (and so they will get plenty of
testing that way).

  Jp

--
A sad spectacle.  If they be inhabited, what a scope for misery
and folly.  If they be not inhabited, what a waste of space.