[Twisted-Python] feedback requested -- flow.py goes beta

Clark C. Evans cce at clarkevans.com
Sat Apr 19 15:55:54 EDT 2003

When to use flow?

  For simple processes which can be broken down into
  a small set of chunks, then Deferred is the best way
  to go.  To make it worth while to use flow, you need
  one of the following:

    a) incremental results: for example, a big or slow
       executing database query that needs to process
       results as they become available.

    b) merging or splitting: for example, having two
       database queries running in parallel, the
       results being merged together

    c) complicated chunking: if your deferred chunks
       start to get numerous or have non-trivial logic
       in them, then flow would be useful.

    d) intensive computations: if your process has
       computations that need to be broken into
       chunks, then flow may be better than deferreds.

Recent changes:

   I renamed flow.ThreadedIterator to flow.Threaded,
   as it is now a wrapper (you don't inherit).

Clark