[Twisted-Python] Re: [Twisted-commits] better password handling, also catch SystemExit and don't print it

Kevin Turner acapnotic at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Apr 18 21:33:06 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 08:58, z3p CVS wrote:
> Twisted/twisted/python/util.py 1.23 1.24 [...]
> better password handling, also catch SystemExit and don't print it

Hey, you broke my code!  Fortunately, you did it after the release
candidate, so I don't have to kill you.  Sorry I didn't have a unit test
in for it before, I do now (test_util.GetPasswordTest).  The behaviour I
was depending on *was* fully specified by the docstring though, which
you blatantly changed.

I can understand why for conch you would want a way of grabbing a
password from the terminal while leaving stdin undisturbed, but that's
not what this function did.  It allowed for a password to be passed in
to stdin so that scripts could set passwords without doing it on the
command line, because command line arguments show up in the process
table which is way too public on many systems.

I'm going to revert your change to python.util, please feel free to add
this functionality in another way (perhaps with a new function or
parameter) that does not break documented behaviour.

Thanks,

 - Kevin

--
The moon is waning gibbous, 94.3% illuminated, 17.0 days old.