[Twisted-Python] blocking question

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Thu Apr 17 23:33:38 EDT 2003

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 11:15:06PM -0400, Konrad Rokicki wrote:
> Hey everyone, newbie question:
> Are there any Python/Twisted idioms for doing blocking? More specifically,
> in a client I have a method to send a query to the server and another
> method that gets called when the query is answered. Is there an easy way
> to say "send the query then wait x seconds for it to return in this
> function"?

  Like this, probably:

    d = queryFunction()
    d.setTimeout(x)
    d.addCallbacks(handleAnswer, queryTimedOut)
    reactor.run()

  For more, http://www.twistedmatrix.com/documents/howto/

> It seems like blocking is taboo in twisted and if anyone has an
> alternative I'd be glad to hear it.

  It's not a taboo, it's just not done ;)

  Jp

--
C/C++/Java/Perl/Python/Smalltalk/PHP/ASP/XML/Linux (User+Admin)
Genetic Algorithms/Genetic Programming/Neural Networks