[Twisted-Python] Bloat (was Re: [Twisted-commits] DependentMultiService - chained start/stop of services in a sensible order)

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Thu Apr 17 15:52:42 EDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 05:33:33AM -0400, Christopher Armstrong wrote:
> On 2003.04.13 20:32, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> > but I would like to discuss it and other patches like it.  Not to pick
> > on bob here; there isn't really a policy on avoiding bloat in Twisted,
> > so it can't be said that this is a violation of anything in particular.
> >   I just think we need one.
> The one I've recently decided was good is "If there's no other code in
> Twisted that relies on it, don't add it to CVS."

  In this vein, what is the policy on things that are now in CVS but that
are no longer used by anything?

  I know this is trickier, because apps might be relying on them, but we've
got some *really* obscure stuff :)

  For example, twisted.python.reflect.{Settable,Promise,Summer} - completely
unused, except for their tests.

  It'd be nice if we could lose some of this baggage - not right away, but
maybe start with some deprecations now?

Examinations are formidable even to the best prepared, for
even the greatest fool may ask more the the wisest man can answer.
                -- C.C. Colton